- December 3, 2019
December is here and we are certain winter weather is not far behind!
Did you know that routine maintenance of your vehicle can greatly reduce your risk of breakdowns? Our friends at AAA found that 62% of vehicle owners are behind on their vehicle’s routine maintenance services. Falling behind on maintenance can lead to unexpected breakdowns and costly repairs.
Below is a simple winter car care checklist can help save you time and money this winter!
- Battery: Starting an engine in cold weather requires a fully charged battery in good condition.Have a technician test the battery for charge and corrosion before winter hits.
- Tires : Cold temperatures can decrease tire pressure. Proper tire pressure levels can be found on a sticker located on the driver’s side door jamb. Tire treads helps grip winter roads. Check for low tread depth and uneven wear.
- Lights: With shorter daylight hours burnt out headlights, emergency flashers, turn signals, brake lights or back-up lights are major safety concerns. Replace any burnt out bulbs.
- Wiper Blades: Your wiper blades should completely clear the glass with each swipe. Replace blades that leave streaks or miss spots.
- Fluids: Make sure the oil, power steering, brake and coolant fluids are at recommended levels. Fill the windshield washer fluid reservoir with a cleaning solution that has antifreeze components for cold weather use.
- Brakes: Brake components that are badly worn, or a brake system in need of hydraulic fluid, can make it difficult to stop on slick winter roads. Have a certified technician ensure all components are in good working order.
- Emergency Kit : Just in case, keep the car stocked with jumper cables, blankets, a flashlight with extra batteries, an ice scraper, reflectors, a shovel, a first-aid kit, water and non-perishable food, and a mobile phone charger. You just never know when an emergency might happen.
Remember, you still have time to take advantage of Bellingham Automotive’s Winter Bumper to Bumper Service Inspection Special for just $89.95! This inspection includes visual inspection of over 99 of your vehicle’s components. An added bonus, we will be donating $5 from every Bumper to Bumper Special performed to the Bellingham Food Bank.
Schedule Your Appointment today online or by calling (360) 676-5200.